If your organisation has chosen to use Kura Payments for bookings, please find recommended settings for your Stripe account detailed below.
You can login to Stripe here: https://dashboard.stripe.com/login
To navigate to Settings in your Stripe account, use the cog icon at the top right of the screen:
Stripe allow you to customise email, receipt, invoice or customer portal appearance according to your brand/organisation. To add your branding elements navigate to Branding, under the Business Settings category:
Here you can add brand colours and an icon or logo and preview the appearance of receipts, invoices and the Stripe customer portal:
Once you have added your brand elements you can save the settings, so that these take effect for all future correspondence.
We also recommend that you review your Account Details found under Business Settings, particularly Public business information, as this information helps observers and passengers recognise your organisation and support information provided may be visible in payment statements, invoices, and receipts.
To activate emails to send to observers and passengers, navigate to Emails, under the Business Settings category:
We recommend that you enable the below settings:
- Successful payments: This will send an email, to an observer or passengers Kura account email address, when a payment has been taken successfully.
- Refunds: If you choose to make a refund via your Stripe account, this will send an email to an observer or passengers Kura account email address, detailing the refund amount.
By default the domain used when emails are sent is 'stripe.com'. You can choose to add a custom domain that will send emails, such as receipts and failed payments, from your domain instead of stripe.com, so that emails are more recognisable and consistent with your organisation.
At the bottom of email settings, there is an option to add a domain:
Once selected this allows you to enter the domain that you would like to use:
Once entered your domain will be verified by Stripe within 72 hours. To verify your domain, you must configure the DNS (Domain Name System) records provided in the Dashboard. These DNS records are necessary to ensure your ownership of the domain and reliable email delivery. If your domain hasn’t been verified after 72 hours, or for more details please visit this this guide: https://stripe.com/docs/email-domain
Subscriptions and emails:
If your organisation wishes to offer observers and passengers the opportunity to pay for their bookings in installments, settings within your Stripe account can be found by navigating to Subscriptions and Emails, under the Billing category:
In the Prevent failed payments section, you can determine how far in advance a customer is notified of an upcoming payment using Upcoming renewal events. The available options are 3, 7, 15, 30 or 45. We recommend 7 so that the observer or passenger is expecting the next payment to be taken and has the opportunity to update their payment details.
We also recommend enabling the below settings in Customer Emails:
- Send emails about upcoming renewals: This will send an email to the observer or passenger to notify them that a recurring payment will be taken with date due and cost.
- Send emails about expiring cards: This will send an email to the observer or passenger to notify them if they need to update their payments details, as the card they provided is expiring.
In the Manage failed payments section, you can configure the steps you'd like to take when charging an observer or passengers payment method fails.
We recommend enabling the below settings:
- Retry Schedule - Use custom retry schedule for subscriptions: In the event that a payment fails, Stripe will automatically retry the payment method provided, up to 3 attempts. You can change the number of days after previous attempt by selecting the 'Retry [x] days after the previous attempt' drop-downs. The available options are from 1, 3, 5, 7 day interval(s). If you wish to remove attempts you can do this by selecting the 'x' to delete the defaults. An 'add retry' button will then display if you wish to add interval(s).
- Customer Emails - Send emails to customers to update failed card payment methods: An email will be sent to notify an observer or passenger that a payment has failed which requests that they update their payment method. We recommend using Billing scale which allows you to select 'Use Smart Retries for subscriptions', as this will send a Stripe hosted link to update card information. If you are not using Billing Scale, please enter the custom link as https://app.ridekura.com/ so that users are directed to the Kura site, where they can update their card information via the 'View Stripe Portal' button once they have logged in, providing that you have configured the Stripe Customer Portal as detailed in this article; below in the Stripe Customer Portal section.
- Subscription status: If all retries for a payment fail, you can determine if you wish for the subscription to be cancelled so that no further payments are taken, mark the subscription as unpaid so that you can discuss and request that the passenger or observer provides you with a payment method so that you can retry the charge manually or leave the subscription as-is so that future payments are attempted in the event that payment details are updated and you can retry the failed charge manually to a different card. We recommend using mark the subscription as-is so that you have visibility of any outstanding payments and future subscription payments will be attempted. If you choose for the subscription to be cancelled we recommend in the Kura portal, in Settings ->Payments, setting 'cancelled subscription action' to 'Remove Bookings', so that future bookings are removed where payment isn't being taken.
In the Manage payments that require confirmation section, you can determine, how you would like to handle payments that require authentication from a card provider. 3D Secure authentication for Strong Customer Authentication (SCA) will always be triggered, regardless of whether or not you enable 3D secure.
We recommend enabling the below settings:
- Enable 3D Secure - Request 3D Secure for Billing Payments that match Radar rules: For fraud protection, where a card provider requires a user to authenticate their payment, the passenger or observer will be asked to approve the transaction.
- Customer emails - Send a Stripe-hosted link for customers to confirm their payments when required: This will send an email to observers or passengers to prompt them to authenticate or approve a transaction. You can change the number of days after payment was initiated by selecting the '[x] days after payment was initiated' drop-downs. The available options are from 1, 2, 3, 5, 7 day intervals. If you wish to remove attempts, you can do this by selecting the 'x' to delete the defaults. An 'add reminder' button will then display if you wish to add interval(s) to a maximum of 3 reminders.
- Customer emails - Send reminders if payment confirmation isn't completed: Stripe will automatically send reminders where the payment is not authorised, up to 3 attempts.
- Subscription status: If authorisation is not provided for a payment, you can determine if you wish for the subscription to be cancelled so that no further payments are taken, mark the subscription as unpaid so that you can discuss and request that the passenger or observer provides you with a payment method so that you can retry the charge manually or leave the subscription as-is so that future payments are attempted in the event that these are authorised and you can retry the failed charge manually prompting the observer or passenger to authorise. We recommend using mark the subscription as-is so that you have visibility of any outstanding payments and future subscription payments will be attempted. If you choose for the subscription to be cancelled we recommend in the Kura portal, in Settings ->Payments, setting 'cancelled subscription action' to 'Remove Bookings', so that future bookings are removed where payment isn't being taken.
Stripe Customer Portal:
To display the Stripe customer portal to observers and passengers, particularly those using subscriptions, so that they can view their payments, arranged subscriptions and update their details and payment methods, we recommend configuring the Stripe Customer Portal, which can be found under the Billing category:
Once on the customer portal configuration page we recommend enabling the below settings under Functionality:
- Invoice History - Allow customers to view their invoice history: This allows customers to view their paid invoices and download receipts (these will also be sent via email if Emails are configured as above). Any outstanding payments will also display with the option to pay manually.
- Billing Information - Allow customers to update their email address: So that emails such as receipts or failed payment attempts are sent to the correct email, and phone number if they wish to add this so that you are able to contact them in the event of a query.
- Payment Methods - Allow customers to update their payment methods: So that differing card information can be provided for future payments.
- Cancel subscriptions: Allow customers to cancel subscriptions can be enabled if you wish to allow observers or passengers to cancel their subscriptions, if they no longer require their booking, so that no future payments are taken. In the Kura portal you can determine if the bookings are retained or if future bookings are removed upon cancellation. If you wish to allow customers to cancel their subscription, we recommend that cancel immediately is selected without proration, as a proration is credit for time remaining in a billing cycle which doesn't apply. If you don't wish to allow customers to cancel their subscriptions this option should remain off. Please be aware that, customers may still choose to cancel via their card provider meaning that recurring payment attempts will fail.
Pausing, switching plans or updating subscriptions don't apply to Kura, as these refer to differing levels of service, so these items don't need to be activated.